Thank you for your interest in the Brooklyn Bridge Park. While the full-time staff remains small, there are occasional vacancies. Internship opportunities for college or graduate school students are available.
When positions become available, the positions will be advertised on this website, in addition to other places. Persons sending unsolicited resumes and cover letters may send them to email@example.com or by mail. Once your resume is received, a member of our staff will contact you should there be a position available that matches your credentials with our staffing needs.
Position: Park Operations Intern
The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation (BBP), a not for profit corporation, is responsible for the design, construction and operation of Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85 acre, 1.3 mile, world-class park that stretches along the Brooklyn waterfront from Atlantic Avenue to Jay Street, north of the Manhattan Bridge. Adding much-needed open space for Brooklyn and New York City residents, Brooklyn Bridge Park contributes to the extraordinary revitalization of the waterfront in the New York Harbor, serving as a bridge from the commercial uses of previous centuries to the recreational uses of the future. Construction of the park is ongoing, and BBPC operates areas of the park as they open to the public, while continuing to construct the remaining portions of the park design.
Brooklyn Bridge Park is seeking an Intern to join Operations team for summer 2014. Working collaboratively with staff experienced in public space management, landscape architecture, facility maintenance, sustainable turf management, and horticulture, the intern will be responsible for both general and ongoing project-based tasks. Many of the tasks and projects will be centered on improving the efficiency, attention to detail, and broad focus of the Park Operations Department. This is a unique opportunity gain insight into the construction and management of a world-class, innovative, and transformational public space.
- Work with an outside consultant and participate in the onboarding of a comprehensive Operations Management Software for BBP.
- Complete a wide-ranging field inventory of park assets, streetscape items, and horticulture elements (tree/shrubs) using a GPS locator, digital camera, and selected software database;
- Input data relating to numerous aspects of the Park Operations Department into database. Create new data based on field conditions where relevant or accurate data doesn’t exist;
- Create a standard operating procedure and guide of best practices for using the software. Disseminate training information to the Operations team through documents and presentations;
- Provide general administrative support to members of the Operations team. Prepare and gather documents, spreadsheets, drawing sets, and presentations;
- Organize drawing sets, specifications, O&M Manuals, and preventative maintenance procedures. Establish an organizational system that optimizes the efficiency of the Park Operations Department;
- Stay up-to-date and research best practices regarding public space management, park operations, and comparable park projects.
- A undergraduate student pursuing a degree related to public space, geography, urban planning
- Interested in the evolving field of public space management;
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details;
- Knowledge of applicable software programs (AutoCAD, GIS, Adobe Suite);
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting.
This is a paid internship and is anticipated to run from May 2014 – August 2014.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use “Park Operations Intern” as your subject line.
For a PDF of this job description, please click here.