Thank you for your interest in the Brooklyn Bridge Park. While the full-time staff remains small, there are occasional vacancies. Internship opportunities for college or graduate school students are available.
When positions become available, the positions will be advertised below, in addition to other places. Persons sending unsolicited resumes and cover letters may send them to email@example.com or by mail. Once your resume is received, a member of our staff will contact you should there be a position available that matches your credentials with our staffing needs.
The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation (BBP), a not for profit corporation, is responsible for the design, construction and operation of Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85 acre, 1.3 mile, world-class park that stretches along the Brooklyn waterfront from Atlantic Avenue to Jay Street, north of the Manhattan Bridge. Adding much-needed open space for Brooklyn and New York City residents, Brooklyn Bridge Park contributes to the extraordinary revitalization of the waterfront in the New York Harbor, serving as a bridge from the commercial uses of previous centuries to the recreational uses of the future. Construction of the park is ongoing, and BBP operates areas of the park as they open to the public, while continuing to construct the remaining portions of the park design. www.brooklynbridgepark.org
Vice President of Strategic Partnerships
Brooklyn Bridge Park’s Vice President of Strategic Partnerships is the primary point of contact for all external constituencies, managing relationships with press, elected officials, community members, programming partners and allied organizations.
- Plan and execute a proactive press strategy that highlights the overall progress of the park as well as events, horticulture, design, and sustainability measures.
- Write and distribute press releases, pitch stories and formulate responses on deadline working with Park staff.
- Work in close collaboration with the Mayor’s Press Office and City Legislative Affairs to maximize impact of public relations efforts and coordinate ongoing relationships with elected officials.
- Maintain an active, visually compelling and informative website that provides up-to-the- minute content about the Park and highlights timely information and upcoming events.
- Plan, manage and implement an aggressive social media campaign to build awareness of the Park, events and capital improvements.
- Identify and pursue new partnerships with allied not-for-profit and other organizations to augment the reach of the Park, its programming offerings and increase its audience.
- Manage on-going collaborations with the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy to ensure coordinated outreach campaigns and maximize efficiencies in promotion and marketing.
- Cultivate and maintain effective relationships with local elected officials and troubleshoot as needed.
- Manage the Park’s Community Advisory Council (CAC) in partnership with the CAC co-chairs to devise meeting agendas, presentations and follow-up to ensure a full, representative and active community advisory presence.
Candidate should have 5-7 years of experience in a comparable position, with a proven track record of effective relationships with the press, government officials and community advocates. Ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Familiarity with city government is essential. Interest and proficiency in urban planning, landscape architecture, park management and sustainability concepts are a plus.
How to Apply:
Please submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter must include salary expectations. US Citizen or Green card (no sponsoring). NYC residency required. Please state “VP Strategic Partnerships” in the Subject line.
Working collaboratively with other team members, the Turf Manager is responsible for daily turf management of Brooklyn Bridge Park, commensurate with established organizational mission, values, and standards.
- Caring for 10 acres of organically maintained turf
- Mowing, string trimming, aerating, dethatching, fertilizing, top dressing, weeding, reseeding and otherwise managing turf
- Training and overseeing the daily tasks of the Turf Seasonal
- Reviewing new lawns as they are installed
- Integrated Pest Management
- Oversee park-wide irrigation system
- Repair spray heads as they break
- Maintenance of all lawncare and irrigation equipment
- Work with Gardeners to assure proper landscape irrigation
- Integrate turf management into Categraph and GIS management software
- Keeping records in Excel, performing management experiments, and analyzing historical data
- Soil biology, nutrient, contaminant, compaction and moisture testing and tracking
- Provide help with seasonal tasks, including snow removal
- Provide support to other members of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Operations Staff on a variety of tasks from maintenance work to gardening;
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Operations Management.
- A degree in Turf Care from an accredited university
- Minimum three years’ experience managing turf
- Minimum one year experience working with irrigation
- Knowledge of grass species, pathogens, and fertilization requirements
- Enthusiastic about, knowledgeable of, and willing to experiment with cutting edge organic turf care strategies
- Irrigation systems knowledge
- Strong weed identification and management skills
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 40 lbs) on a daily basis in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Previous experience in a facility maintenance and/or park setting a plus
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details;
- Strong communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed;
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in a park-setting.
- Valid NYS Driver License
This position reports to the Director of Horticulture.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week, non-exempt position. Staff members holding this position should expect to be available for work one weekend day.
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please use Turf Manager in the subject line of your email.