Brooklyn Bridge Park Rules & Regulations
Please note: As of May 23, 2011, Brooklyn Bridge Park is a smoke-free park, consistent with the recent New York City law. The law is intended to make parks healthier and cleaner places to visit. We ask your compliance with this new rule.
To enhance and provide for the safety, well-being and enjoyment of individuals who use Brooklyn Bridge Park, and to ensure that each park visitor has the opportunity to use and enjoy the park, these Rules and Regulations have been established by the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation.
The rules, modeled after many of the existing park rules for New York City and State parks, outline permitted and prohibited uses and activities in Brooklyn Bridge Park. In addition, they set forth the process for submitting permit applications needed to conduct certain uses, activities or events, as well as the criteria for review of such applications.
Below is a consolidated list of park rules most applicable to standard activities. This IS NOT a complete list of rules and regulations. To read the complete rules and regulations, click here.
I. General Rules:
For everyone’s safety and enjoyment:
- Deposit waste in appropriate receptacles and respect landscape features and wildlife in the park.
- Keep dogs on a leash at all times (except for designated dog runs) and clean up after them.
- Dogs are allowed on the park promenade and pathways only.
- No smoking.
- Alcoholic beverages and barbecuing are prohibited (except in designated areas.)
- No loud radio playing.
- No feeding or abusing of wildlife.
- Bicycling and skate boarding are permitted on the bike path only.
- Panhandling or solicitation is prohibited.
- Performances or rallies, commercial activity and distribution of commercial or non-commercial material is prohibited (except by permit.)
- Fishing in designated areas only.
- Securing bikes to objects other than bike racks is prohibited.
PARK OPENS AT 6AM AND CLOSES AT 1AM
II. Playground Rules
For everyone’s safety and enjoyment:
- Play area intended for use by children.
- Adult supervision required.
- Adults allowed in playground only when accompanied by child.
- Some surfaces may become hot, please take precautions with exposed skin.
- Secure gate upon entering and exiting.
- Food or glass containers
- Bare Feet
- Dogs or other pets
- Bicycles, Roller Skates, Scooters and Skateboards
- Using Playground Equipment in an Unsafe or Unintended Fashion
- Possessing or Consuming Alcohol
- Amplified Sound
THE PLAYGROUNDS CLOSE AT DUSK
III. Pier 6 Dog Run Rules
- Monitor, control and accompany your dog at all times.
- No human may enter the run unless accompanying a dog.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent in the run.
- Do not use the run if your dog has communicable diseases.
- Do not bring food or glass into the run.
- Skateboards, bicycles, scooters and strollers must be left outside the run.
- No littering.
- Pick up after your dog.
- Discourage barking.
- Exercise caution and prudence with dog toys in the run.
- Maximum of three dogs per person.
- No dogs in heat.
- Dogs must be licensed and vaccinated for rabies; tags should be visible.
- Prong, choke and spike collars may not be worn.
- Leash and remove dogs that behave in an aggressive or annoying manner.
- Dogs involved in a fight must be separated immediately and removed from the park.
- If your dog digs a hole, please fill it before you leave.
- Users of the run do so at their own risk.
- If a dog is barking past 9pm, please leave the run.
IV. BBQ Rules
- Grills are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Barbecuing is allowed in designated areas ONLY.
- Additional grills are prohibited. Cooking is only allowed on the grills provided.
- Please mind children under the age of 15.
- Children under 18 years old are prohibited from operating a grill unattended.
- Alcohol is prohibited.
- All dogs must be on a leash.
- No amplified sound.
- Do not place trash in the grills.
- Please do not attempt to extinguish or remove used coals.
- Each party is allowed to use one grill top.
- There is a one hour limit per grill when others are waiting.
- No groups larger than 20 will be allowed at the Pier 5 Picnic Peninsula.
- No grilling after 10pm.