Pier 6 is a popular destination for children and adults alike. Whether checking out one of the playgrounds or playing in a tournament at our sand volleyball courts, Pier 6 offers several great attractions:
- Sand Volleyball Courts: Three regulation sized volleyball courts are located on Pier 6. Visitors can come for open play, check out a tournament or join a public clinic.
- Swing Valley: This playground features ten swing sets of varying sizes, as well as Tarzan ropes.
- Slide Mountain: Slides, jungle gyms and climbing structures are all included at this playground.
- The Water Lab: One of the Park’s most popular playgrounds, the Water Lab features a water-jet field and water channel that will keep children entertained for hours.
- Sandbox Village: Possibly the largest of it's kind in New York City, this giant sandbox is great for toddlers.
- Dog Run: Located on the uplands of Pier 6, this dog run is open daily.
With a major entrance fronting Atlantic Avenue, Pier 6 features a 1.6-acre destination playground with water play, swings, slides and other innovative play equipment beautifully integrated with the park landscape.
A 1.8-acre section of the pier features three regulation-sized sand volleyball courts, a seasonal eating area with 1 concessionaire, an expanded network of lighted pathways, and a renovated building that contains park restrooms and has been clad with the park’s salvaged Long Leaf Yellow Pine. The pier features 15,000 square-foot lawns and is planted with a diverse array of native plants and trees, most notably Sassafras, Bald Cypress and Chestnut Oak trees as well as Sweetfern, Sumac and Serviceberry shrubs.
A dog run is located on the uplands near the Atlantic Avenue park entrance, and a pedestrian promenade leads from the playground onto the Pier and provides views of lower Manhattan and the New York Harbor.
A ferry dock is located on the southern edge of Pier 6 providing ferry service to Governors Island and other destinations in the harbor. See the Directions page for further information on these routes.