Permits are required for certain activities or special uses. Commercial film and photo shoots, wedding ceremonies, league sports, events, or group activities (such as lessons, camps, school groups, or the like) must obtain a permit and meet insurance requirements. For more information and to determine if your visit requires a permit, continue reading below.
Applying for a Permit
- Permits must be obtained prior to undertaking regulated activities as defined in the Park Rules and Regulations.
- Applicants should read all Permit Terms and Conditions prior to submitting an application.
- Permits are not issued for weekends or holidays.
- All applicants will be charged a $25.00 non-refundable application fee and a $1.00 credit card processing fee. Additional fees may be required based on the nature of the requested permit and will be assessed after your application has been received.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee you will be granted a permit. Your application is not approved until you have received a permit from Brooklyn Bridge Park.
- Applications may take up to 21 days to process after they have been submitted. Applications must be submitted at least 21 days in advance.
- Permits are not issued for Max Family Garden.
- It is not possible to receive a permit for the Pier 5 grilling stations or any picnic tables in the park. All tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis for groups of 20 people or less. Personal grills are not allowed to be brought into the park.
- Applications for the upcoming year will open on December 1st of the current year.
- Decorations like chalk, confetti, powders, glitter, balloons, or any other similar substance cannot be used in the Park. These substances are difficult to manage when blown into plant beds, water features, or paths. These products can blend with the soil or water and the dyes or chemical makeup of these products may have long-term harmful effects on the Park’s ecosystem.
All permit applicants who are required to provide insurance must provide a Certificate of Insurance (COI) with the following language in the ‘Description of Operations’ box and the following address as the certificate holder. If you fail to provide a COI with the language below, we will not issue your permit.
Description of Operations text (“permittee” is your entity name):
“permittee” is also insured under the described policy. The following are included as additional insureds, including with respect to claims arising out of Permittee’s operations: Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation d/b/a Brooklyn Bridge Park, the City of New York, Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation, New York State Urban Development Corporation d/b/a Empire State Development, the State of New York, and their respective officers, officials, agents, members, directors, and employees, with coverage at least as broad as ISO Form CG 20 26.
Certificate Holder text:
Brooklyn Bridge Park
334 Furman Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
When do I need a permit?
Generally, permits are required if you want to: bring a group larger than 20 people into the Park; have a wedding ceremony; film of photograph for professional/commercial purposes; or, have dedicated access to a sports field/court. This list is not exclusive or exhaustive.
Please review the Permits section for more information on when a permit is needed and how to apply for one. Submitting an application does not guarantee you will be granted a permit. Your application is not approved until you have received a permit from Brooklyn Bridge Park. Applications may take up to 21 days to process after they have been submitted.
Can I get a permit for or reserve picnic tables or grilling areas?
No, picnic tables and grilling areas are on a first come, first serve basis. When the grilling area is busy, we ask that grills are only used for one hour at a time.
Do I need a permit to take photos?
Can I decorate or set up for a small gathering?
If you are hosting any event that requires set up, you must have an approved permit from Brooklyn Bridge Park. Please note that chalk, confetti, powders, glitter, balloons, or any other similar substance cannot be used in the Park. These substances are difficult to manage when blown into plant beds, water features, or paths. These products can blend with the soil or water and the dyes or chemical makeup of these products may have long-term harmful effects on the Park’s ecosystem.
Can I host an event or activity?
To host an event or an activity in Brooklyn Bridge Park you must have an approved permit from Brooklyn Bridge Park. This process insures that any given area of the Park is not over crowded and that organizations are properly supported and insured. If you would like to host an event or activity in the Park, please review the conditions for a special events permit.
Can I have my wedding at Brooklyn Bridge Park?
Contact Permits Department
Have a question before submitting a permit? Please review the FAQs on this page, and then contact us. Thanks!